Thursday, July 7, 2011

V.I.P

Hello, hello, hello! So, as I mentioned earlier… I saw a V.I.P today in clinic! Sadly, I am not going to be able to reveal who this patient is. Even though I have consent from the patient, I do not want to rock the boat at school or fluster any feathers of the administration. Here is what I can tell you all. 
The appointment went really well. Today, I had to finish his complete oral exam, obtain x-rays, present his treatment plan, and then do a DO composite on #29… and he was a rockstar through the whole thing. The only hiccup we had was that he has a history of being difficult to numb :( So after poking him more times then I would like of liked, and about 90 carps of lidocaine later…he got numb (or so he said… I think he just wanted to get on with the show.) I hadn't seen anything like that before… I mean, the whole half of his mouth was numb, but the second I put the drill on his tooth he could feel it. Maybe he is a drug seeker? Although I have never heard of local anesthetic being anyones drug of choice! (Joking… obviously) Anyhoo, once the decay was removed and we were on to the restoration it was smooth sailing. I couldn't take any pictures that involved more than the mouth because the clinic admins don't want any other patients accidentally getting paparazzied. Understandable I guess. So here are the few that I got… they are not awesome. Sorry. But I will get better at photographing real mouths. Also I don't have any of the restorative process, because we were running out of time. Enjoy and Happy Thursday :)

His pretty teeth before the makeover on #29 ^

It was the distal of #29 that I worked on, even though the ML of #30 probably grabbed your eye. I have a different plan for that guy :) ^

I believe I was rinsing out the box of my prep at this point, or who knows what I was doing. ^

Like I said.. the pics aren't too wonderful. This is the best picture of my prep that I could get. Note: the darkness you see at the distal of #29 is not decay, it is where the box drops down at. It was a pretty prep… to bad I am a bad photographer.

7 comments:

  1. seems u did a good job, so good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job my friend! Your patient was in good hands :) Just wish I could have stopped by to say hello! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wondering, did you pass your boards :)? I'm from Australia and we don't do any of this stuff till third year! Is it normal in America to start working on patients and do pulpotomies and root canals in 2nd year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @bibliophile,
    First of all, thanks for the blog love! Second, I did pass my boards. I put it in one of my posts but I didn't make a big announcement about it. As far as pulpotomies and RCT goes… I am technically a 3rd year now. I finished second year in May and then 2 weeks later started 3rd year. We were able to dabble in pulpotomies in late 2nd year when we were working in the community. My school is really good about letting us "get our hands dirty" and they really do believe in the idea of "doing is the best way to learn". So as long we are comfortable with procedure then we are usually allowed to do it.
    Hope that helps! Happy Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, sorry I totally forgot that America starts a bit later. That sounds like my university too, the last two years of our five year course are all clinical rotations. :) I must admit, my pracs pretty horrible. I can't even drill class 1s! haha. you have a lovely blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @bibliophile, glad you enjoy the blog! Tell your friends :) And don't stress too much about those class I's... Before you know it they will be a piece of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice blog! Though the photos are not that crappy - no offence - I think you can get more ideas about taking photographs on you're surgery here.

    ReplyDelete