Friday, May 20, 2011

How I am studying for boards

Where the magic (?) happens! ^
I figured since all I do is study lately, it is only fair to give you a more in depth look at my method of getting insane amounts of information into my brain. FYI: NBDE part I has 4 sections, Gross Anatomy, Biochemistry/Phys, Microbiology/Pathology, and Dental Anatomy. 
While still in the "gathering supplies" stage of boards studying, I had heard that if you do dental decks (DD) twice, then you will pass. Being the worry filled person that I can be, I thought, "Well if it is practically gaurenteed… then that is what I will do."  That was way back in January though, and I only made it through Gross Anatomy and part of Biochemistry and I was bored of them. So I decided I needed to revamp my plan. 
Plan B: I had been sent a huge all inclusive NBDE study guide from a friend of mine awhile back. I had opened it before I started DD, but when I saw the crazy-ness the document contained, I freaked out and decided I wanted nothing to do with it. After my plan A (DD) failed, I decided to give the document another shot. I had each section printed out (about 500 pages total) and bound and I dove in head first. I started with the Gross Anatomy (GA) again and I carefully read all 120 something pages and took notes in the margins (to ensure active studying). Then when I finished I went back to the beginning and wrote my own note pages on what I thought was the most important, or stuff that I was forgetting a lot. Then, I re-read my notes and I took two practice tests on that section. Exhausting. 
I did that for all four of the sections. I know, I am off my rocker. 
After doing the read, re-write, review, test method for each section, it brought me to about 5 days ago. (yes, it took that long… keep in mind I was in school full time while doing this… if you forget that it seems like an insane amount of time to accomplish the task at hand.) 
So now what? I am about a week and a half away from my test and I am feeling like I am forgetting information as fast as I cram it in. 
My plan for now until boards is as follows. I went all the way back to GA again and skimmed the document and re-read my notes I had taken (and added some). Then I did 200 practice questions out of First Aid Questions for NBDE I, followed by a practice test from the ADA. Yesterday, I did the same process for Biochem/Phys and today I am working on Dental Anatomy. Saturday I will tackle Mico/Path, and then start cramming Sunday morning for my Behavioral Psych Final on Monday (yes, I am still in school). The rest of that week will consist of old exams, and review of information I can't seem to remember (there seems to be a lot of that). Then May 31 I take my test! YAY! And the morning after I leave for vacation with my husband :) 
Wow. I just re-read all of that…and I sound nuts. Haha. In all honesty, I just don't want to have to take this test again. My Dad always told me, "If it's worth doing, then it's worth doing right…the first time." I agree and I am studying for this test like it is going to be the hardest test I will ever take…shoot for the moon, eh? 
Thanks for reading all this non-sense. I am excited to get this test out of the way, have a short break, and start summer school. I believe we will be in the clinic a lot, so I will have tons to blog about. Happy Friday! 

18 comments:

  1. I admire your hard work & dedication. I also appreciate your canadian reference (shoot for the moon, eh?) I have to believe that it was a shout out to JB - so on his behalf - Thank you.
    love, Cheska

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodluck with your exam :) I enjoy reading your blog a lot. Do you think if you can give us more of ur study tips and methods with ur crazy amount of material? I see that you do a lot of colour-coding? Maybe one day, if we get into dental school, we can utilize your tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I've been reading your blog to get some perspective of a dental student before I start D1 this fall. Great posts AND pictures :). I was wondering if you would be ok with sharing the part I study guide from your friend? My school takes it after D1 (yikes!). Much appreciated!! jal014@yahoo.com. Good luck on the the exam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I get a copy of that by any chance? Jade.hudson11@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I was wondering if you could send me a copy of that all-inclusive study guide. Or at least direct me to where I can get it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I love your blog, its very usefull. Could i get that copy too? My email is ddodiene@gmail.com, i would be very grateful

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey! Thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog! I'm getting ready to take the NBDE 1 soon. :/
    Any way you could share the all-inclusive study guide with me? My email is kingkong12393@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blogs buddy……… this will definitely assist me.cosmetic Dentist

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kind of late seeing this blog but do you think I could get a copy of that study guide you ended up printing out? jessmk@umich.edu

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I loved your post, i feel like everyone goes a little nuts during studying for boards! Speaking from experience! how did you exam go? if its not too much trouble! could you email me a copy of that study guide? sounds like a golden ticket to the exam! bowsnbubbles13@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in the middle of doing dental decks and I'm pretty board with it. I would love a copy of the study guide if you don't mind! rmeshera@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. that study room looks awfully familiar! currently preparing for a march exam date-- would you mind sharing this study guide? kims1@westernu.edu or kimsungeun0706@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love a copy of the study guide if you don't mind! im from mexico and im having a hard time sitting and packing down all the info !! thanks iriveraera@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi i was wondering if i could get my hands on that study guide, it would surely help me understand how to start studying, I've been trying to start for the past month and i just can't settle down and hit the books. thanks! preetkksandhu@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great blog. Would mind send me a copy of study guide? Rawan.salman3@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome Blog! I'm a d1, and would love to get the study material. Can you please send me a copy of the study guide? Argj45@yahoo.com

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me too please
    I'm struggling with decks so much n they're driving me nuts Celine.em37@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks you for sharing such great information about Dental calendar

    ReplyDelete