Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mental Health Day

Nummy^

Too bad they don't get me into shape by just looking at them. ^



It is absolutely amazing the things I find to do when I don't want to study. 

Here are a few examples:
  1. Bake cupcakes
  2. Paint my nails
  3. Shop for a dress for end of the year banquet (I already have one)
  4. Buy running shoes
  5. Actually go for a run (that was the shocker)
  6. Watch a movie (Love and Other Drugs)
  7. Clean the house
  8. Visit my husband at work
Yes, these are all things I did yesterday to avoid studying… pretty impressive if you ask me. I thought I had no energy (which is why I convinced myself I couldn't study) yet, look at that list of things I got done yesterday afternoon (all very important things). 
That's the thing with dental school though… You can't do school stuff all the time… even when I am really busy and there is plenty to be done… somedays you just need a "Mental Health Day". 
I put "Mental Health Day" in quotes because it is a phrase my Mom used quite often when I was growing up. I don't get the chance to brag too often about my parents but in all honesty… they are the deal. Growing up most kids played hooky every now and then…myself included. However, when I got to high school my mom allowed me to cut the fake sick gig and she would say, "I think you just need a mental health day." She would call the school and tell them I wouldn't be in that day and then I would spend the day relaxing. A few disclaimers: First, this was not a common occurrence. It happened maybe once a semester. Second, I was only allowed to do this if my grades were good. With that being said, "Mental Health Days" were one of my Mom's greatest ideas. They refreshed me even though I had a million things I could be doing… life lesson right there huh?! There will always be something that needs to be done, but don't forget to take care of yourself and rejuvenate so you don't burn out. Yesterday was one of those days for me… I needed a breather and a break. So, thanks Mom for taking most of the guilt out of it, as I deemed it a "Mental Health Day."
Here's to today being productive as well…but maybe with more of a school emphasis. Happy Wednesday!
Me and my beautiful Mom at my 6th Birthday party. ^

No comments:

Post a Comment