Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dentures and Endo… life doesn't get much better.

Doin' work! ^

I have been getting the question, "Are you going to specialize?" a lot lately… and, frankly, I am really not sure. I don't know if I am cut out for a speciality or if I want to commit to more school. It overwhelms me to think about it, even though I need to because it is my grades, volunteer work, and boards scores from now that will determine if I even can. I need to reflect on this more. I will. Starting…tomorrow. Maybe.

Last week we began a new chapter in the dental school curriculum…dentures and endo. Very exciting. In a twisted way I really enjoyed the smell of cutting through REAL teeth, rather then the plastic teeth we have been using. It was a nostalgic moment as I was brought back to the long hours I had spent assisting in an office during undergrad. I swore I would never miss being an assistant, but i do.
I miss :
  • knowing I won't get sued if something doesn't go as planned
  • the praise when you do something right (usually on accident)
  • the the satisfaction of knowing I did everything I could when the dentist accidentally hit the pulp. (which loosely translates into… I suctioned well.)
  • being done with a day of work at 5:00…sharp.
  • the smell of the autoclave
  • the excitement of calling patients and telling them their lab work was in and they didn't have to wear that useless temporary anymore.
  • taking a lunch break and not thinking about anything other then..well…lunch.
  • race of breaking down and setting up a room in under 3min.
Sure I miss all these things, but I wouldn't go back to it for nothing. I am excited about the path I am on, the trials I have been through, and the journey that lies ahead of me. Dentistry is the career for me…this I am sure of.


No comments:

Post a Comment